so after bar school today i went to my friend katie's house to watch last weekend's episode of the sopranos. now, maybe my absolute fervor right now is due in part to way too much morning caffeine in my system, but OMGWTFAYFKM?!?!?! my little brain is all a-flutter right now trying to put together what is going to happen in this sunday's episode! and this sunday's episode, for those of you who aren't paying attention, is the LAST episode EVER!
so, if it matters to you, beware, because in the coming sentences there are gonna be (i can't believe i'm saying this on my blog -- i should be ashamed!) spoilers...
first of all, melfi dumped tony as a patient, bobby's dead, silvio is "unlikely to regain consciousness", and tony is in hiding. why? because of that sonuvabitch phil leotardo! ...who is a complete asshole. not that tony's not also a complete asshole, of course, but phil is a goddamn crazy bastard, too.
drawing on the training i got for my BA in english, here are my predictions of things that HAVE to be dealt with:
1. paulie. he's the only one of the soprano family who has been around since the very beginning. and paulie may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he's stubborn and self-preserving. i haven't trusted paulie for a while. i think he's gonna do something big.
2. little carmine. he went with tony to talk to phil (in that fantastic scene with phil yelling out the attic window to tony and carmine on the street) and he's never been a fan of phil's leadership. is he poised for the throne? i dunno, nor do i think he's the right guy for the job, but we'll see...
3. phil. needs to die. just like how tony needs to die. they should both die. because i say so.
4. the fibbies. what's with this whole tony and the FBI guy back-and-forth at satriale's? at this point, the only way i can see that tony can get out of this alive is if he flips on phil and the new york family and gets himself into the witness protection program. tony's got nothing left.
stuff that, in my opinion, i hope has already been finished:
1. a.j. the show has already turned him into an extreme version of all the things that are wrong with tony (the depression, the self-destruction, the cowardice), and i don't think he's got any more of a role to play than that.
2. uncle junior. crazy old uncle jun is gonna go rot in a state mental hospital because all of his money is gone. bye bye uncle jun! you've been awesome!
3. silvio. i love silvio. LOVE him. but if he's been shot up so badly he's in a perma-coma in the hospital, it's highly unlikely he's going to have any function in the plot. besides, having tony's right-hand paralyzed rather than cut off has a nice little bit of poetry to it.
there you go. and we shall see!
oh, and if any of you are sopranos fans, you should definitely check out the running commentary on slate.com
about the series. joshua turned me on to it. it's written by jeffrey goldberg (from the new yorker -- i totally have a crush on jeffrey goldberg), timothy noah (from slate), brian williams (yes, brian williams -- the fantastic NBC nightly news anchor), and, towards the end of season 6, terry winter (one of the writers on the sopranos). brilliant!