Sunday, September 17, 2006

milestone...

happy birthday to me! i've made it to the big three-oh. 30!

i don't want to get all, you know, sentimental or anything (i thought about writing a retrospective of year 29, but decided against it, since it would be the blog equivalent of a sitcom flashback episode.), but i'm not sure i'm capable of deleting all silly sentiment out of my birthday blog post. 30 is kind of a big deal. i survived my 20s intact -- no loss of limb, no force majeure, no criminal convictions. sure, i had a couple of big scares and a broken heart or two, but all of that heals. we keep moving forward. and that stuff kind of floors me, in the holy-shit-this-is-MY-life kinda sense. pretty fucking cool.

last night i had what is definitely in contention for the best birthday ever. i was surrounded by wonderful, kind, funny, brilliant, generous people; people that i'm so grateful to have in my life. there was much silliness (shots of goldschlager?!) and happybirthdayness. and of course there was carrot cake. and my fantastic friends did all the cleaning up for me! i should turn 30 every day!

a billion trillion thanks from the bottom of my heart to krista, paul, michael, steph, george, jess, sandy, josh, oliver, aubrey, randy, regina, katy, michael, grant, dana, elizabeth, greg, chris, joshua, andrew, and tom, for making my birthday celebration wonderful and amazing! and a billion trillion thanks, too, for all the wonderful phone calls i've received from the folks i love who are too far away to have been here in person. you people make me look forward to the next 30 years. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

and let's not forget what else cherishes this day as a special anniversary -- the United States Constitution! consty, you may not be worth the paper on which you're written these days, but you still mean something to me.

p.s. i'm deliberately not mentioning yesterday's notre dame game because it's just not how i want to remember the waning moments of my twenties. oof...

3 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

carrot cake?
i love you. i already left you a happy birthday comment but here's another... happy birthday!
i love you!

and yeah, ouch, ND...

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Emily. My mom has always told me that 30 is the decade when she really came into her own.

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

Happy b-day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home