Thursday, June 15, 2006

girly girly....

it swear that the older i get, the less interested i am in having babies and getting hitched. and it also seems that more and more of my girl friends (and guy friends, too) are getting hitched and having babies. and while i am happy for friends who have things in their lives that make them happy, it feels a little odd and isolating when folks talk about engagement rings or wedding pictures or baby showers.

the other side of the the-older-i-get crap is that i'm becoming more and more okay with other people's wonky philosophies on life. for example, when clients say to me on the phone, "have a blessed day" (which i hear at least twice a day) or when a bartender at a certain favorite dive bar of mine talks and talks about the power of positive thinking, rather than get all cynical and annoyed, it makes me feel happy that people are doing what they can to find even a little bit of peace in their lives. it doesn't have to be my path, but if somebody else can derive some happiness from it, well, then it can't be all bad, can it?

with that said, however, and with full knowledge of my own wonky philosophies on life, an e-mail this morning alerted my attention to the following:
I got hitched Saturday. Beforehand, I had been sheepish about telling my students I was getting married. It seemed inconsistent with my professional persona as an independent, fearless, freedom-fighting law professor. So I waited until the last possible minute to mention it. “OK, I have a quick announcement,” I began a recent Criminal Law class. “I do apologize, but I have to cancel next Thursday’s class because… um… well… my partner and I have decided to get married.” My students then began to clap. Gads, this was worse than I imagined it would be. The applause grew.

“No, no—please don’t clap. This is a truly freakish event that was never supposed to happen to someone like me.” Applause turned to laughter. Now I’d gotten myself in a fix.

XXXXX had faced none of this angst. He had told his journalism students months ago, and he’d enjoyed their applause, while I skulked around my school as if I had a dirty little secret.

I’ve critiqued the institution of marriage for as long as I can remember. Heterosexist. Patriarchal. The usual list of sins. The unit on marriage in my Feminist Legal Theory class begins with the English common law of coverture in which a female’s legal existence is erased by its merger into her husband’s at marriage.

So what’s a self-respecting feminist to do when she decides that a public commitment to her sweetheart is the next step in her spiritual and emotional growth? What happens when she loves someone in a way that—despite societal evidence—burbles with the hope of lasting a lifetime?

No new last name. No veil. No white dress. No “love, honor, and obey.” No father “giving the bride away.” No throwing the bouquet. No garter—goddess, no garter toss. No bachelor party. No church. No dieting for the big day. No updo, no French manicure. And no wife.

I told XXXXX, “OK, look, if we get married, I will not be your wife. I never want you to refer to me as your ‘wife.’ I’m serious.”

He was a bit taken aback. “Why?”

“Let’s look up the etymology of the word.” 2002 American Heritage College Dictionary. “ME wif <>wif. See ghwibh- in App.” So we looked up the root word “ghwibh-” in the appendix: “Shame, also pudenda.”

No joke.

Then we looked up “husband” and followed its root (“bheue”) into the appendix. “To be, exist, grow.” So he gets to be, exist, and grow while I am labeled a shame-pudendum? I don’t think so.

Rejecting so many labels and traditions forced us to create new ones. A surprise: that creative process was more meaningful and fun than I’d imagined it would be. What emerged was magical, warm, celebratory, and quite personal.

Thankfully, there is precedent for marriage under protest: abolitionists Lucy Stone and Henry Blackwell’s 1855 declaration of dissent against the patriarchal institution signed upon their wedding day. And a dear friend of mine from law school spoke in her ceremony about continuing the fight for gay and lesbian marriage when she and her partner tied the legal knot back in 1995. So I had footsteps to follow.

Meanwhile my feminist students, gay and straight, seemed genuinely thrilled with my late-coming announcement. “When I heard you were getting married,” one said to me last week, “I was so happy. If even you can find someone, maybe there’s hope for the rest of us!”
i'm not going to tell you who the author of this post is. so don't ask. i will tell you that it's someone whom i consider to be brilliant, fantastic, dynamic, destined for greatness, and even among my list of heroes. i haven't been able to stop thinking about this post all day. (reading through a bunch of deeds with their sexist and archaic language didn't exactly calm me down, either.) but what's a girl to do? am i just wasting my energy when i get frustrated with "man and wife" or the whole white dress dowry bullshit that is the wedding machine? should i adopt the attitude that it doesn't have to be for me but if it works for others, a-okay?

see, it's not just that i don't feel that the scene is for me, either. i really and truly think a lot of it is completely offensive. yet, it's such a weird and devisive issue. i.e., it's not exactly the kind of thing you can rationally discuss with friends who are okay with the more, erm, traditional approach to the contract of marriage.

to me, this does not fall into the realm of wonky life philosophy. rather, it's more of a...crusade.

but i'm too distracted and tired to say anything more right now. i will conclude by saying that i got a really nice warm fuzzy feeling from reading the above quoted portion. what it says to me is that there is a way to do things on your own terms. it's possible to take something that's a little bizarre and effed up and make it worth celebrating. so, three cheers for the folks out there who aren't afraid to do things differently. and who have the balls to bend the rules. that's the kinda girl i want to be.

5 Comments:

At 9:21 PM, Blogger AML said...

I love her - although I guess now the possibility of the two of us getting together is long gone. C'est la vie - I wish her the best.

"Here, let me explain torts...(30 secs later)...but here, we're talking about the DEPRIVATION of LIBERTY!"

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger mjs said...

my good friend from college asked me about her when she was interviewing to be the dean at his law school. he was on "the student committee" and asked me about her stint at pitt. i told him unfortunately i never got a chance to have her in class.

my good friend loves her. all her ex-students love her. damn. she sounds awesome.

i really missed out.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger tmb said...

Independent and individual. I think those are some key terms in all of our lives.

I think its great to celebrate with someone you love how much you love them and how much you want to be with them forever. But regardless of if that seems to be a societal norm, it should always be on your terms. Through the development of humanity, men have been the dominant sex, its impossible to rewrite history. But that doesn´t have to be the case anymore, nor should it. I have tremendous admiration for people in my life who are pushing limits of the heirarchical structure. And regardless of entymology of words or phrases or the reasons for the institutions in our lives, ¿why can´t we just place the emphasis we want on the words we use? Okay, I definitely won´t refer to you as my wife, but I´m certainly using ball-and-chain when joking around, okay. We can all have those discussions and make the terms of our contract with another. The real special thing regardless of what its called is seeing two people who are in love with each other. Its hard to imagine how great and awesome that love is. Call it marriage, call it union, call it oranges. I really don´t care. Its the display of emotion thats important.

It seems to me a difficult thing to come to terms with how right wingers say the family is the cornerstone of society. Okay, well maybe it comprises the building blocks. But stopping at family ignores the real cornerstone of society: love. Family is love. Friends are love. And that love goes outward to others and others and that is society when each person signs onto the social contract to work with his/her neighbor.

I´m sorry this comment became so far afield. I guess I take for granted that my goal has always been to set my own terms. And I sometimes don´t realize for others it may take an email from a person so individual, so progressive, and so independent, to shed light on the fact that we can all set our own terms. We just need to find the people to set them with.

Isn´t it amazing the changes that have occurred in the author of your email´s life over the past few months. Amazing. Imagine how exciting life can be! Regardless of whether you talk about engagements, babies, or moving to another place - life changes rock.

xo

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger emily said...

that exact quote:

"tort? what's a tort? i tort you, you tort me, we all go home!"

brilliant.

although, i feel like i've broken some major rules by quoting that post, since google so easily betrays my sources and all...

eh, at best, it's a tort. and so see the above.

 
At 8:05 PM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

It's not like you pulled a 'Tom' with your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home