Tuesday, November 01, 2005

another nurse!

my friend tom is competing in the appellate moot court competition (you know, the one i bailed on a coupla weeks ago?) and he enlisted grant, krista, and me to help him practice for his oral arguments. so we got to be the fake judges and drill him with questions about his brief. he did a masterful job and i have no doubt that he's going to sail through the competition.

we used one of the lecture hall classrooms on the first floor. tom stood at the podium; grant, krista and i sat in the middle row. after tom was finished, and once we had given him our feedback, i was staring at the chalkboard and i noticed something marvelous! in the ghost-y erasures on the board, i could barely make out two words in a familiar handwriting. the words? "another nurse"!

fade to one year ago, section B torts, professor ross. the case? ybarra v. spangard, 154 p.2d 687. the good old unconscious plaintiff, res ipsa loquitur, and the vectors of vicarious liability!

i wrote down my favorite quotes from my professor during torts, because he was brilliant but a little nuts. here's the quote i have in my notes from the ybarra days:

"ideas are like babies because they're vulnerable...there isn't a single opinion you can't beat up."

ah, the bronze god.

UPDATE!!!
tom sent me the following image of the ybarra "constellation". enjoy!

3 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

What was that damn constellation thingie? I love the Rossisms, but I can never them.

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger emily said...

in my notes i've got the "vectors of vicarious liability"... but i'm sure there was a rossian "constellation" somewhere... once i get my computer back maybe i'll go through my notes for kicks and make a list of the highlights from the torts-that-wasn't-torts class...

ah, sometimes i miss being a 1L...

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, "another nurse." For a while, in my head, that was Krista's name.

I wanna take torts again.

sandy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home