Monday, August 29, 2005

welcome back...

a few more thoughts on the first day of school, now that i'm at home.

first, how my first day of being a 2L differed from my first day as a 1L:
  • i did my reading for today's classes last night; as a fledgling 1L i did my reading a good week in advance.
  • today, as i did the first day of last year, i brought my lunch (i pretty much always bring my lunch). last year, i found a sunny spot outside and ate alone. today i spent my lunchtime bouncing between tables of friends.
  • i don't sit next to krista in every class anymore. but only because i don't have every class with krista anymore.
  • first day of first year, i was terrified of being called on; today, i couldn't have cared less if i was called on or not -- at least now i know enough to bullshit my way through something resembling an answer
  • i feel a hell of a lot more confident about being a 2L. i'm a lot less afraid of being wrong in class. i'm a whole lot less intimidated by my professors and my classmates. as i 1L i was basically shaking like a leaf.
and, how my first day of being a 2L was exactly like my first day as a 1L:
  • i didn't know my locker combination. even though i had the same locker.
  • i scanned the faces in my classes to find the cute boys. i found none.
  • checked the mail in my mailbox, found nothing but lexis nexis flyers, put the mail back in my mailbox.
  • i got coffee with krista.
  • i have a professor named anderson who taught at villanova (but not the same anderson).
  • i'm almost positive i wore the same sneakers.
  • i wasn't called on in class on the first day of being a 1L or the first day of being a 2L.
  • i felt really happy and grateful to be where i was, doing what i was doing.
non sequitur:
i'm listening to the "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" soundtrack right now, but only the jon brion songs. there's one in particular that i absolutely love. it's called "row". it comes at the point in the movie where clementine and joel are sitting on the couch and clem suggests to joel that he hide her in a memory where they don't belong, and he starts singing "row row row your boat" and it starts raining in the apartment and joel runs and hides under a table and the tabletop turns into that wavy translucent fiberglass/plastic-y stuff that sheds are made of. it gives me chills. in a good way.

12 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot one - you were a nerd your first day as a 1L, and you were a nerd your first day as a 2L. Which is why I still get coffee with you :)

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger emily said...

hooray! krista finally makes an appearance on my blog!

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger AML said...

Yeah - also, you didn't sit next to the hottest guy ever in your evidence class as a 1L.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger emily said...

the hottest guy ever in evidence? but wait -- i sit next to you in evidence... oh. right.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger AML said...

Ouch!

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger emily said...

don't be silly -- you know i adore you!

and you keep answering questions the way you did in class today and not only will i be sitting next to the hottest guy in evidence, but i'll also be sitting next to the smartest and most articulate guy, too.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger AML said...

Double Ouch!

Jon Brion rocks though - good call on that one.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

I totally want to join you guys in your dorks and the law class.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger emily said...

sorry, grant. we couldn't get into "dorks and the law". you and your l. rev. cronies took all the available slots.

we had to settle for "doing some good in the world and the law" and "i'm not a corporate sellout and the law".

;)

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Moon said...

hey, easy on the U. Pitt. L. Rev. guy!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

Thanks, Moon! But I totally do have a monopoly on the "dorks and the law" class.

 
At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time to create this very useful and informative blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home