Monday, August 29, 2005

pascagoula in the NYT...


another katrina-visits-my-hometown image, this time from the NYT. article here.

UPDATE!

talked to dad tonight. everyone is fine, but he estimates they'll be without power for a week or so and water for a few days. the water is the real problem -- everybody wants to be able to take a shower. the phones (land lines) will be out for a while, too. my family can use the cars to charge their cell phones, but reception is spotty and the circuits have been jammed all day.

dad's house survived relatively unscathed. there were a few leaks, but nothing major, no tree branches (or trees, for that matter) through any walls or windows. my step-brothers and my sister went for a drive down the beach this evening. my sis told me that several of the houses on the beach are absolutely leveled -- nothing there but the foundations. houses that i know, houses i can picture in my head. gone. i can't even imagine what that must feel like. hell, i get nervous loaning out CDs -- i would be a basketcase if i lost everything i owned. from what dad and caitlin told me, there were no storm-related deaths in pascagoula, but there's been some pretty devastating damage.

i told caitlin (my sis) to take some pictures and e-mail them to me once the power is back. if she does so, i will most definitely post them here.

daniel (my brother) and idus (his girlfriend) are currently in fordyce, arkansas. idus's parents live not too far from new orleans and headed up to arkansas sunday morning. daniel and idus followed suit later that afternoon. they're all fine, too, just not sure when they'll be coming back, or what shape things will be in upon their return.

what a mess. what an absolute mess.

sounds like a job for FEMA.

3 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger perpetual slacker said...

Ouch! I hope your family is okay...

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger AML said...

Hey - at least the town gets a little publicity.

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I'm close to Fordyce, AR where you said that your brother is staying. I found your blog through a search for Fordyce and Katrina victims in need of help. If your brother or any of the people he is with need anything specific, you can let me know and I'll do my best to help. My name is Monica, and my e-mail address is luckyfaery@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home