Saturday, August 27, 2005

waning moments...

it's 2:19 on saturday afternoon. in 42 hours and 41 minutes i'll be starting my first class of my second year of law school. the big question haunting me this weekend is, of course, what am i going to wear on monday?

yesterday and the day before was orientation for the new first years. yesterday afternoon was a student organization fair, where all the various law school clubs/groups have tables set up and get the new students to sign up. my friend tom, president of the pitt law democrats, called me earlier in the week to ask if i would hang out with him at the dems' table. so i did, having nothing else to do.

but here's the thing... remember that coup that i was planning? my overthrow of the pitt law ACLU? well, the student organization fair was to be stage one. the (outgoing) president was supposed to be there at a table signing up the new recruits. but she didn't show! like, at all! she was nowhere to be found! so, tom made me a sign and gave me some paper and i became the rep for the pitt law ACLU! i got a list of about 30 or so names, not too shabby when you consider that all i had planned on was hanging out with tom and keeping him from flirting with the new girls.

of course, with great power comes great responsibility. looks like now i've got my work cut out for me.

meanwhile, a couple of tables down... (we were _so_ in the lefty corner. the black law student association, the pitt law women's association, outlaw, pitt law democrats, the ACLU, and the environmental law council were all clustered together, directly across from the federalist society, the republicans, and all the christlaw groups.) so anyway, my dear friend andrew is president of outlaw, the GLBT rights group. i was absolutely astounded by how many kids would come up to him and ask what outlaw was, and when he would explain that it was a gay rights group, but membership was open to everyone, the kids would make some stupid excuse about how they had already signed up for enough organizations and kind of walk away. good gravy! these are adult students (in theory). real grown ups are not homophobes.

oh well, at least andrew got all of us lefty 2Ls to sign up for outlaw.

and then, after the student group fair, we (i'm almost embarrassed to admit this because it truly is very very lame) headed over to shadyside to go to doc's. the SBA (student bar association, i.e., law school's version of student council) puts on a free beer free food thing as the close of orientation activities. and, yes, i went to check out the 1Ls. well, friends, surprise, surprise! they look just like my class. i only hope that the really cool ones elected not to go to the boozefest/meatmarket. i have good reason to hope this -- i didn't go last year. and i'm way cool.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger AML said...

hmm...intersting thoughts, but I did go to this 'boozefest/meat market' and I'm way cool too. Why don't you stop destroying America? You know freedom isn't free, it cost's a buck-o-five.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger emily said...

yes, of course you are way cool, too. you're the exception (to almost every rule, my friend!). but don't challenge my freedom, okay? i can't afford that buck-o-five until financial aid sends me my damn loan refund... sigh...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home