Friday, August 19, 2005

it's way cold in hell today...

so, i know it's only the pre-season and all, but um, the saints beat the patriots last night?!?! now, i know i only recently admitted that i'm not a big fan of the NFL, but my brother is. my brother is also the frequent recipient of phone calls from me when it's late at night and i'm walking home by myself from bars. which is how i came to know about new orleans' victory over the pats.

why do i care?

1) i'm from southern mississippi. mississippi has NO professional sports teams. at all. so, southern mississippians cling to the saints for football, the braves for baseball, and whoever for basketball (i come from a family who roots for the celtics, but i think that's because the celtics, at least in my childhood, was full of tall, white guys -- much like my family).

2) as mentioned before, i do like the philadelphia eagles (this is actually less because i lived for several years in philly than it is because my brother has been a huge eagles fan since he the randall cunningham days). i like the pats, too (only because i lived in new england for a while). but the pats beat the eagles in the superbowl, and that just pissed me off.

1) + 2) = 3) the saints beating the pats is part awesome and surprising, and part revenge.

alas, the preseason counts for nothing... but it counts for something in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home