Tuesday, July 19, 2005

close quarters...

it's 11:45 on a tuesday night. cody, my landlord's cute-but-interminable dog, located in his crate only one room and a hallway away, has been crying now for about 20 minutes. by the usual standards, this is not a long time. the good news for me is that i'm only a few moments from going into my bedroom, turning on the fan, turning out the lights, and sleeping through the remainder of cody's barking fit.

dyed my hair tonight. am less than satisfied with the results. i think i forget how dark my hair actually is and thus how much effort it really takes to change its color significantly. if i were to go lighter, tons of chemicals would be needed, and thus tons of work (and time -- when caitlin was here a few weeks ago and we put pink streaks in my hair it took us about 5 hours), and the responsible adult in me (the one with whom i so gratifyingly made peace recently) knows that i can't do anything too drastic since i'm about to enter a bellyachingly chaotic job interview phase. sigh... maybe i do miss my irreverent youth after all...

so, here's the current entertaining diversion in my life:

i'm attempting to overthrow the government of (of all things) the law school's chapter of the ACLU. the 2004-05 officers were less-than-stellar. we had a total of two meetings all year, neither of which took place in the second semester. thus, there were no elections for new officers, and the old officers are still claiming leadership rights. so a friend of mine and i are staging our own little coup d'etat. okay, what we're really doing is demanding that the group hold elections and we're going to make sure all of our friends attend the election meeting so we'll become the next president and vp. that's right -- we're advocating a complete bastardization of the democratic process (not that i have any faith in that process, anyway...). this is about as coup-ish as i get at this stage in my life. perhaps when i'm older and more powerful i'll be bolder in my insurgency.

i've sent two e-mails to the current (pronounced: "outgoing") president of the ACLU student group. the first was very nice, offering to help out, blah blah blah, thanks for her time. the second one was a teensy bit brattier, asking when she was planning on holding elections, telling her that my friends in outlaw and the law school dems and i have been talking about collaborative projects, blah blah blah. if anyone ever gets a hold of the pointed yet scathingly funny e-mails that have been exchanged between my co-conspirator and me, any political potential we may have will pretty much be quashed.

why do i trust the anonymity of the internet? my full name, where i live, where i go to school, and now the student group i'm attempting to weave into my tangled web are all contained in these posts. and still i have this devil-may-care attitude?

maybe because i know that my classmates have much much more ridiculous and potentially career-damaging web sites out there (see: www.lenatlawschool.com for example). oh, and i know that no one ever reads this.

so, it's kind of like yelling "fuck you" in an empty church.

goodnight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home