Sunday, June 13, 2004

dripped...

you know, i'm neither good at, nor qualified for, self-infusion of medications. i damn near screwed it up today, too. i got everything working, but i had to hold my arm (which is in some mighty hematomous pain right now) in just the right position to get the medicine to drip into it.

jill (my nurse) came out last night and switched the IV. she put it in my right arm. apparently i do have really crappy veins--people in the know keep telling me this. she was going to stick my left hand, so at least i wouldn't have a catheter stuck in my writing arm, but i didn't want it so visible since i had teacher training today. so in my right forearm it went, and out of my right forearm it came when the drip finally dripped today.

but now it's all done! i'm finished with the IV phase of my steroid medication!

my vision hasn't returned, though. i guess i was hoping that after dose #3, i might notice some change... maybe it takes a few days more.

today is sunday. this week i have to do a ton of silly work at the office in the span of not quite 3 full workdays, and then i leave wednesday at 5:30 for north carolina for four nights and four days with the family. i'm currently annoyed with my sis (hi caitlin) for dyeing her hair pink (copycat), but i'm sure i'll get over that. or else i'll burst into a steroid-induced rage at some inappropriate moment and start speaking in tongues and seizing.

it wouldn't be the first time.

well, it would be the first time with the steroids.

whatever. i've never in my life been more aware of how necessary vacation time is. never. i seriously think if i weren't on the verge of having this time away from doctors and work and philadelphia, i'd most certainly be on the verge of a nervous breakdown. i damn nearly killed both stean and me earlier trying to get the IV drip to work. damn near killed us both. let me just, for the record, state--i should not be given the responsibility ever again to administer my own IV drugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home