Monday, January 30, 2006

lost in translation...

i don't even have all that much reading for tonight, but i'm currently amusing myself (read: procrastinating) by playing around with this online translating tool.

and what specifically am i doing? glad you asked. i'm taking a simple little william carlos williams poem, translating it into various languages, and then translating it back into english to see how it changes.

first, the original poem:

so much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.

and now, the translations. these are all translated back to english after being translated to the following languages:

1. french:

depends so much
on
a red wheel
wheelbarrow
frozen with the rain
water
close to the white
chickens.

2. spanish:

as much it depends
on
a red wheel
wheelbarrow
enameling with rain
water
next to the target
chickens.

3. german:

depends as much
after
a red wheel
Truck
glazed with rains
Water
beside the white
Chickens.

4. russian:

so much depends
on
the red wheel
the barrow
it is glazed with the rain
the water
near the whiteness
chickens.

5. italian:

therefore a lot depends
on
one red small wheel
wheelbarrow
shining with rain
water
to the white man side
chicken.

6. japanese:

It depends so
Red wheel
Wheelbarrow
The rain and gloss can be applied
Water
Side of white
Chicken.

but here's where this gets really fun! i had to pull out the old college poetry books to make sure i had the punctuation correct for the WCW poem, and here's what i've got written in the margin next to "the red wheelbarrow", from first semester, senior year of college, in john matthias's class:
imagist poem; mimesis of external reality not an issue for WCW - importance of words regarded as things - formal relationships, pure form made object; WCW as maker rather than sayer
sigh... i love my english degree!

6 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger emily said...

i thought about doing a grand finale of english > french > spanish > german > russian > italian > japanese > english, but i thought that would be too much...

oh, what the hell! here it is:

Therefore it depends many
The highest one
Red small wheel
Wheelbarrow
That rain becomes hard
Water
Almost scale
chicken.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Timmer said...

Damn you Em...I am trying to write a lesson plan for Prof. B, and I have an absolute mountain of reading for the next few days due to my leg injury debacle which set me way back. This is the most fun I have had all day.

Kisses.

English to Dutch, back to English:

Vloek you Em...I try for a lesson plan for prof. to write. B, and I have to an absolute attribute mount of reading for the next days to my debacle of the leg wound which me slows down manner. This most of the pret I already have day have been had.
To kiss.

 
At 10:03 PM, Blogger Timmer said...

HOLY CRAP...call me, make me do work--I can't stop myself--this seemed appropriate to translate:

I'm never going to be famous. My name will never be writ large on the roster of Those Who Do Things. I don't do any thing. Not one single thing. I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more. (Dorothy Parker)

From Russian (with love?):
4 never not to the ides to be known. With my name never there will be writ large to roster those makes to thing. 4 I make no thing. Not one single thing. I used to hold in control my nails, but 4 I am not equalized I will make the more.

I will stop now (or at least stop basically spamming your comments!)

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger emily said...

aw, tim -- you're as bad as me! it's 10:32 and i've yet to start my reading...

STAY AWAY FROM THE TRANSLATOR!!! DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE TRANSLATOR!!!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger AML said...

OMG - I LOVE Tim & Donny - yinz are the best 'n at

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Moon said...

i'm really torn between the russian and the italian variations, but perhaps the italian thing is only there because i'm a white man. so i'm going with the russian.

chickens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home