Wednesday, December 21, 2005

bit by bit...

this time tomorrow, i'll be on my way to knoxville, tennessee.

this time the day after tomorrow, i'll be on my way to pascagoula, mississippi.

this time the day after the day after tomorrow, i'll be in my dad's house, with the crazy brood of folks who most closely share my genetic material.

sheesh!

it honestly never ceases to amaze me that i live in a world where it's commonplace for a person to travel significant distances in insignificant amounts of time.

i'm really looking forward to making this trip on the road. i've flown home for christmas every year since i lived in boston, because it always made more sense to do so. but driving this year seems reasonable. besides, i love the eisenhower interstate system and i love watching the trees blur by along the side of the road and i love the parade of different cars with different license plates and all of the stories contained inside, all of the reasons for travelling.

although, i may fall apart a bit when i get home. i may need to just curl up with some blankets and catch my breath. i'm definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. so many things... finals, grades, finding a job, finding a new place to live with my brother, how badly i need to re-dye my hair because the roots look awful, how i've chewed my cuticles and fingernails to bits in the midst of the messed up sleep/study/paper-writing schedule. you know what i really want right now, more than just about anything? i want a hug from my dad and my brother and sister. a nice, welcome-home, it's-so-good-to-see-you hug. i want to be in a room with a christmas tree. i want to eat a meal that doesn't first need to be re-hydrated with boiling water.

tonight i'll pack my things in preparation for a two week stint away from home. must remember...glasses, cell phone charger, camera, bike helmet, clothes to wear to the obligatory christmas eve mass with the family, the good conditioner that makes my over-dyed hair feel like soft, normal hair... must not forget...water the plants, get cat litter and cat food, make sure alarm clock and coffee pot are not left on.

but first, finish this paper. finish this paper and then the world is mine. almost there -- so close. one, two, three, go!

1 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger emily said...

i don't even know the name of it -- it's one of those after-coloring conditioners, like the stuff you get in a box of hair dye, only i get the full size version of it at the sally beauty supply place. it's not too expensive, either. it's probably terrible for my hair, i'm sure it's a build-up nightmare, but obviously i'm not too concerned with having natural healthy hair, given that i haven't seen its natural color since i was a teenager...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home