Monday, October 10, 2005

all things in moderation...

friday night, to celebrate three weeks of being smoke-free, andrew and i decided to go out to dinner. and rather than enjoy one of the many fine eating establishments in pittsburgh, we drove out to the south hills to go to outback steakhouse. good god! it was a total lame-suburban-couple-in-the-sprawl thing to do. awful. the place was full of kids and bad music and large portions and all that is evil in the world.

no sooner had we placed our drink orders did i look across the table at andrew and say, "hey, let's promise each other that we will NEVER do this again."

andrew responded, "okay. or at least, not until next year."

good call! this is one of the reasons i love andrew and know he's a lifetime kindred spirit. because as much as the sprawl is evil and gross and bad chain restaurants should pretty much go the way of the dinosaur and the cassette tape, there's something secretly pleasurable about the occasional indulgence. it's like a field trip, a nice little sociological venture, bolstering my conviction that i have become and will henceforth be a city girl.

3 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand why you thought that was a good idea in the first place. I feel dirty just thinking about it. Next time you want to go out somewhere to eat and celebrate, promise you'll come to me. I won't send you to a benefit concert or anything.

slk

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger emily said...

i promise -- you've yet to lead me astray! and definitely no benefit concerts. those are for old people.

 
At 2:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Outback Steakhouse is not representative of suburbia. O.S. a trashy, overpriced, chain restaurant with a fake Aussie accent. I had the same reaction last time I went there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home