Monday, October 10, 2005

kittens will even chase cornflakes...

...and i'm bad at hiatuses.

on sunday at lunch with andrew, i got a fortune cookie which told me that my day was to be filled with luck. so i bought a powerball ticket. if i win, my friends are all getting free tuition and i'm buying a computer that will start up without needing me to bang on its keyboard.

the good part is that the luck seems to have spilled over into today: i had a good meeting with my seminar professors about the outline i've drawn up for my paper; the cute boy who i decided last week wasn't cute anymore is cute again; i ran into dave's friend brandon, whom i hadn't seen in a while; joshua bought me dinner; i had a good visit with krista over coffee while she was waiting for the bus.

but most notably, i figured out a way to beat the socratic method! it is my greatest subversive tactic to date! here's how it works -- when a professor calls your name to give an answer in class . . . just don't respond. it's too simple to be anything but brilliant! the whole system of american law studies will fall. viva la resistance!

okay, here's really how it worked... it was the beginning of administrative law and my professor started things with one of his characteristically enigmatic questions about something that no one was really ready to deal with. he doesn't use his seating chart to call on people, rather he picks names off the roster. so he says, "is emily mcnally here?" and rather than own up to the fact that i wasn't ready to answer his question, or even to say that i didn't understand what he was asking, i just sat there like a bump on a log, eyes on my computer, typing away. no emily mcnally here. so my professor moved on to the next name on his roster.

this was seriously weird. the whole situation. because:
1. i sit in a row with seven of my friends...and not a single one of them gave me up. nobody pointed, stared, laughed. (although, tom, who sits to my right, said, "mick, he's got everyone's pictures." which translated in my mind as, "mick -- put on your reading glasses so he won't recognize you." glasses -- check.)
2. i've never seen this happen before. i'm sure that i'm not the first moron law student who played possum, but in my own experience, you just don't not answer. you fumble through and look like an idiot, like everyone else. but not answering? unheard of!
3. i really didn't intentionally not respond. it was more like something in my brain decided that i had the option of not responding, and there was nothing wrong or unusual about exercising this option, so i just sat there silently.

i really wonder what's wrong with me sometimes. i can't remember half of what i read, i'm a constant ball of mania, i'm generally in my own world, i raise standing defenses to landlord-tenant complaints. who the hell am i? and i'm going to be a lawyer in 2 years? heaven help us all.

oh well, here's to the little 1L in me and the 1L in each of us -- may she get over her stupid fear of sounding like an idiot (and may someone please remind her that, at least in my case, she sounds like an idiot by default).

2 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger emily said...

you jumping up on the desk and calling me out would have been fantastic! let's try it out next time i get called on!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Moon said...

if you're raising standing defenses to every case you face, you're well on your way to being an excellent lawyer. there's almost always an argument, however specious or downright mendacious, against subject matter jurisdiction and standing. on appeal, there's the additional out of waiver. a good lawyer makes each of these arguments in every case he can do so without being sanctioned. you'd be appalled how effective it sometimes is.

ps. the little blogger comment verification code thingie, though fine and useful, keeps getting longer it seems to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home